Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Miller Lite on Ice, Anyone?

I have done some drinking in my days and have a family who can really drink with the best of them, but I was not prepared for what I saw on my flight from Austin to San Francisco. The flight left Austin at 7:30 am and the flight attendant came around to offer drinks at a little before 8:00 am. Most were choosing water, juice, coffee……. Standard drinks for that time of day. But a man on my row requested a Miller Lite on ice. I did a double take and wondered if I heard right, confused by both the Miller Lite on ice and the time of day it was. But sure enough, she came back with just that. In less than 3 hours he consumed 6 Miller Lites on ice and would have had more, but the attendant told him “Sorry, the cart is closed”. Of course it was. We still had a good hour or so left of the flight when she cut him off, so he bounced his leg up and down for the remainder of the flight (apparently suffering from DT’s), shaking our whole row in the process. If the beverage cart wasn’t “closed”, I might have considered a drink to numb my mind……

No comments: