Tuesday, September 30, 2008

“Sometimes You Just Have To Say “F” it and Be More Flexible”

These were words of wisdom given to me and my siblings by my Uncle Gary during a family gathering. And this was exactly what I had to do if I was not going to starve while I am here. Those of you who know me well will remember that I’m a bit of a germaphobe and detest the idea of double-dipping. You see, when Koreans eat, they typically each get an individual bowl of rice and then proceed to share the rest of the meal from several smaller “community” dishes. We would refer to this as mass double-dipping. My already travel weary stomach lurched when it dawned on me during my first meal that I was going to have to eat off these community plates and bowls if I was going to eat at all. Shortly after that initial shiver, I just said “F” it and jumped in because I’m going to be here for a year, so I might as well get used to it. And the chopsticks thing…..For now, they just provide me with a fork automatically. I’ve also been told where I can find a pair of “training chopsticks”.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're settling in. It occurs in stages.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that is most decidedly something you will have to get over if you want to survive here!